Monday, October 1, 2012

Scary Moments

Author's Note: This is my narrative for the Writing Center. I tried to enhance my vocabulary, but you can decide if I achieved that. I personally think I could have tried a little harder, but I think I did okay. I was also of course trying to get a high score overall on the writing rubric.


In life, one must experience certain things to know what life is all about: getting an F on a paper, riding a bike for the first time, playing some kind of sport. One last one is being truly afraid. Thinking you're going to die isn't exactly the best feeling, but it is a necessity, since so many people have currently already experienced something similar to the time I first went tubing. Yes, I of course was afraid. Maybe not so afraid I thought I was going to die, but somewhere sort of close to that aspect.

Of course, it was a nice day to go boating- the sun in the sky, no clouds as far as the eye could see, birds chirping, the gentle waves lapping on the sand like cats lapping milk. But it was also the first time to go tubing. Other times, I'd been on Sarah's boat, except never tubing.

The second Mrs. Calderon threw the giant blow-up tube into the water, I wanted to go first. I like to try things out. Since it was a two-person tube, Sarah went with me first. The feeling was magnificent: my hair was blowing behind me in all directions, the tube bouncing lightly on the shimmering water.

Next was the time for Diana, Sarah's sister, and I to go together. Something that is important to know for this explanation is while you are tubing, a signal for "all is okay" is where you put two arms above your head. Well, as Mrs. and Mr. Calderon got farther out on the lake, the boat went faster. It glided quickly across the water, a long wake stretching out far behind it.

On the tube, it was a different point of view. We were flapping in the wind like a kite, bouncing three feet up above water, only to come down and straight up again. After a while of quite rough jumping out of our seats, there was a couple of huge jumps. So when I thought the huge waves were over, I reached my hands over my head to show we were okay, but suddenly a gigantic wave scooped up the tube. I rose far out of my seat, and I tried to reach for the slippery handles. It made me so afraid that I was going to fall out. Mr. and Mrs. Calderon even stopped the boat because Sarah saw me fly out of my seat. Luckily, the sea didn't suck me under, leaving me helpless, sinking to the bottom of the dark water.

Everyone has had something scary happen to them. No matter what they say, even if they can only think of something like when they thought someone was watching them. Scary moments aren't great (obviously). Although, scary moments will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment