Thursday, May 10, 2012

Stuff About Myself- Mainly Hamsters

Author's Note: Our writing circle group chose to write about ourselves. This is because we didn't know much about each other. Hamsters are basically the most awesome thing in the world, so I turned that into a piece having to do with hamsters AND myself. In this story, I also colored the words to show different meanings.


For starters, I love hamsters. If you didn’t know that by now, get it in your head because I LOVE HAMSTERS. Here’s just a little back story on that... in the summer of 4th grade to 5th grade, almost every weekend I would beg and beg my parents for a fuzzy pet, not a fish or frog. Sometimes I would even cry about that. I just love animals so much and my mom practically hates them. What didn’t help was that my brother and my dad are allergic to cats and dogs. Finally, my mom and I went to the library to pick out multiple books. 1 on chinchillas, 2 on bunnies,and 3 on hamsters. At that point, we didn’t know we were going to get a hamster, but we did. We also weren’t sure if the hamster would be at our house. 

On Sunday, November 1st, I went with my dad to pick out a hamster. The first one the clerk pulled out was all white. She placed the girl hamster  on the platform. Afraid just a little, I asked, “Will it bite me?”

The clerk answered, “Probably not.” I pet her anyways. The only thing I could think of that was softer than her fur was the chinchilla I saw in 3rd grade when we went on a “Field Trip” to a pet shop. 

“I want her, Dad!” I squealed in delight. “Her name is Cupcake!”

Now I’m not going to explain how she relieved herself in the box the clerk gave us, or how the cage was difficult to put together, or even that Cupcake almost escaped from the ball on her first day, or that she only bit me once in her whole life. I’m not so sad anymore that she died. Everything has to die one day. I still remember how wonderful she was. But the most frightening thing that I know of is that I can barely remember what it felt to hold her, or what she did when she was younger. Luckily, I have a new hamster now, Marshmallow. (Which is part of the reason why I forgot.) Everyone in my family was attached to Cupcake. They aren’t really liking Marshmallow that much. I think he’s the sweetest thing. (Besides Cupcake of course. She was so nice...) 

Every time I clean his cage out, I rub his squishy little body against my cheek. I love him very much. 

Even though I love hamsters, that doesn’t mean I don’t have any dream pets. Right now, I desperately want a dog. Specifically a Papillon.  Getting one isn’t a problem, because my grandma said she would buy me one. Because of the fact Papillons are hypoallergenic, my brother would be fine to live with one. My mom just thinks they belong outside. My grandma would also buy one for their house- except they have a German Shepherd. She says Ana will eat it. I wouldn’t be surprised if that really happened.

But at least I have an awesome hamster! I will now put a smiley face to show my enthusiasm. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment