Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Little Prancing Pony

Author's Note: I wrote this piece, also with Anusha a while ago to get the juices flowing. I love the little horse pictures!


There is a pony in my neighbor's backyard. A lot of times, I watch it from behind the barbed-wire fence it stays in. I think that if I opened the gate, it would run into the horizon of the setting sun, leaving a trail of dust and some hoof marks. But this pony isn’t like others. It likes to prance. A lot. One time I tried to ride on its back because my neighbor let me. But it kept knocking me off, and so after just fifteen minutes, I was all bruised and cut. That was a very painful day.

Anyway, I have a name for that pony, even though I don’t know whether it’s a girl or boy. I like to call it Donut, because it is brown, like a frosted Long John. Everywhere except for a large white splotch covering its back, which looks like frosting. There are also black specks on the white part. But I like to think that represents the sprinkles.

Today I had a dream where I let him go. And, the neighbors are older now and don’t really want Donut anymore. My mom will never let me have a horse. She thinks all animals are disgusting and smelly.

Now I finally will let him go. The neighbors gave me permission. They are too tired to do things like that for themselves. When I let him go, it was more beautiful than I could have ever imagined.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment