Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Swimmy

Author’s Note: This is an essay that I wrote to bump up my writing skills. I’m working on Word Choice. But the purpose of this essay is to persuade my mom to get me a fish which I don’t really know the reason why I can’t (I mean, I even offered to pay for it and clean it once a week...). My main goal is to just tackle my mom’s reasons why to not get a fish so then maybe once they’re all gone, I could. Oh, and the fish on the bottom isn't the kind of fish I want, I would like a tiny rainbow neon one- like the ones from Wal-Mart. I just couldn't find a picture of one of those...





Rainbow-colored fair lights flash before your eyes and the aroma of corn dogs, caramel apples, and cotton candy fill your nose. You glance at the wide variety of games spread throughout the fair isles. What game should I play? you ask yourself. After a few minutes of pondering, you decide on a game where you throw a ball to win a fish. Sounds easy enough. As you reach for your dollar, your hand starts to shake. Don’t mess this up, don’t mess this up, you tell yourself. Once about six dollars have washed down the drain, you see a fish. Well of course you see a fish, but this one is... calling your name almost. It’s also the color rainbow, so you just have got to win this fish. At that moment you know that fish is for you. Only a couple more dollars have vanished before the man working at the smelly booth finally hands you it. The fish is perfect. His name is Swimmy. I think I should get a fish.

Everyone wants something- anything from a cell phone to a car to a piece of string. Such examples are from the book Hunger Games, Katniss wants freedom. Except I want something different that I wouldn’t normally ask for. I would like a fish. One of your problems is cleaning it, right? Well my friend, Anusha, told me that I could buy a bottle of algae preventer so I don’t have to clean it as often and it doesn’t smell so bad. Now this may seem like a plus for me, but it means for you that I won’t be making such a racket downstairs all the time, so you can just get back to your studies of scrapbooking. This also means that the fishtank won’t smell like “vomit” as you put it as often. Plus, I’d clean it whenever you ask me to so if the smell seems to waft over to you, it won’t be long until the smell of peppermint wallflower from my room fills the house again.

Not only would I just clean it, but I’d also take care of him, give him love, and do whatever he needs such as buying food/cool tank decorations that glitter like sparkles. This way, you can spend precious money on food for the family instead of my obsessive needs. Back to the first situation, though. I would love a fish so much- just as much as Marshmallow! In fact, here’s a complete list of what I’d do: I’d look at all the fish, study them thoroughly, ask for my favorite, ask the worker if it’s a boy or a girl, look at him (or her) all the way home, name it Swimmy, set him/her in a pre-setup place, and just let him/her be awesome. Also, I think that I’m going to write a journal about the fish which will improve my writing skills for Language Arts which will improve my likelihood of becoming an author.

Rather than just stating I want a fish, I’m going to describe what extra I’d do. I know right now usually when you ask me to do the dishes I just walk away, but if I got a fish, I would definitely help you dry when you ask me to. Most likely I would also sweep the floor sometimes. Plus I’d help you make dinner, (which actually isn’t bad and I think is kind of fun,) when you ask. Don’t you think a fish is a reasonable- and even possibly overpay on my part- price to pay for this luxury for you?

Everyone has had a dream. We all want something. Mr. Luther King Junior’s dream was for all people be equal, Molly’s dream was to have a squishy calculator, and now I have a dream. Although it’s small, that just makes it easier to come true. I’m positive the you’ve had some dream- probably more than one- and they’ve more likely than not came true. Right now at this point of my life, my dream is to have a fish. In fact, it’s one a the few things that I’m asking for Christmas. If you’re trying to say no, ask yourself this: What would I have wanted my mom to do if I wanted something that badly? Don’t crush dreams. Be a good person. Let me get a fish. Is it really all that hard?



No comments:

Post a Comment